Sunday, April 20, 2008

Freedom, oh Freedom

There's this song I like to sing where I got the blog title from. I think it might be one I learned in Ghana way back in the day. Anyway this morning I was in an empty parking garage and I heard an echo and I thought to myself how perfect of a place this would be to sing. So I belted it out and sang my Freedom song and any hymns I could remember until my voice cracked.

I was thinking about how incredible it would be to fill a gray cement place like that, an empty parking garage or the walkways of Purdue, with loud unashamed singing. Its all part of the 'in this world but not of this world idea' to make our depressing surroundings uplifting. Shane said Mother Teresa called it finding the Calcuttas around us. Even at this university where people are for the most part provided for, the Calcutta is in their loneliness and depression. The bond that group singing makes, the community, love, and solidarity that can be felt is beyond this world.

1 comment:

ben wideman said...

very cool post Wiebe J. good start on the blog, keep it up!

thanks for sharing.