Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Sing Some Menno Song

Recently I was in the tasty, bustling, and exciting 25k population city of Gracias and I met up with a Peace Corps Volunteer. Turns out she graduated from Goshen College in ´06. Its a small world. Anyway, she lent me her blue Hymnal, and I´ve been enjoying it greatly.

A couple of times, I´ve gotten up at around 5ish and hiked up the mountain with the hymnal, some camp songs, and a couple of yellow (but very sweet) oranges. I have a lovely sitting spot around the side of the mountain and up a ways, where theres a good view of the area. I sit on a bed of dried pine needles (Honduras´national tree). I peel my orange and eat a section or two of it between songs. The sun starts to rise at around 5:30, running the sky through shades of purple, red, pink, and yellow. Once there was a horse eating on the slope of another mountain and it made some sighing noises. I was shocked that I could hear it as well as I could since it looked like it was about a half mile away. So I took a deep breath and, at the top of my lungs, joined creation in its morning song with ´What Is This Place?´, imagining it weave all over the valley.

4 comments:

Morgan said...

Oranges, blue Hymnal, pine needles, mountains, and a horse. Imagine such simplicity bringing such joy... your imagery was incredible. Thanks for bringing such joy to my night, a cold and rainy night in Goshen.

Morgan said...

Oh, and I meant to ask, who is the GC grad. turned PC volunteer?

Afriqnboy said...

Anna Herdeck is her name. She isn´t on couchsurfing but I surf her couch (or floor) pretty often.

Paula said...

I love the image of you singing at the top of your lungs. It just makes me smile.:)
I am so glad that you are enjoying your assignment and that you are connecting with people...keep up the good blogging!
Darrin and I are enjoying life in Raleigh. We have a really good group of Service Adventurers--two from OH, a German and an Argentine. We are our own little multi-cultural household.
Blessings to you,
Paula